Lamento d'Arianna (Claudio Monteverdi)
Complete, from the Sixth Book of Madrigals (1614)
- Editor: Alessandro Magagnin (submitted 2006-07-14). Score information: A4, 29 pages, 524 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Madrigals for SATTB: Lasciatemi morire / O Tèseo, Tèseo mio / Dove dov'è la fede / Ahi ch'ei non più risponde
Description: Il Lamento d'Arianna is composed of madrigal arrangements from the opera Arianna (lost). The lament was saved from oblivion by Monteverdi's decision to publish it independently from the opera: first in 1614 (SV 107) as a five-voice madrigal, then in 1623 (SV 22) as a monody and finally, in 1640, as a sacred hymn. The five-voice adaptation was included in the composer's Sixth Book of Madrigals. In 1868 the lament was published in Paris, and in 1910 the Italian composer Ottorino Respighi issued an edited, orchestral transcription.
Link in this work
- Free choir training aids for this work are available at Choralia.
View the Wikipedia article on Lamento d'Arianna.
- IMSLP: Lamento d'Arianna, SV 22 (Monteverdi, Claudio)
- IMSLP: Madrigals, Book 6, SV 107–116 (Monteverdi, Claudio)
Original text and translations
See individual works for texts and translations.