- (Posted 2009-12-27) CPDL #20698:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2009-12-27). Score information: A4, 1 page, 18 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- (Posted 2007-11-15) CPDL #15436:
- Contributor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2007-11-15). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 20 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: From the Cyber Hymnal™.
Title: Ye humble souls that seek the Lord
Composer: Samuel Sebastian Wesley
Lyricist: Philip Doddridge
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 86. 86 (C.M.)
Instruments: A cappella or keyboard
Original text and translations
1 Ye humble souls that seek the Lord,
Chase all your fears away;
And bow with rapture down to see
The place where Jesus lay.
2 Thus low the Lord of life was brought,
Such wonders love can do;
Thus cold in death that bosom lay,
Which throbbed and bled for you.
3 Then raise your eyes and tune your songs;
The Saviour lives again:
Not all the bolts and bars of death
The Conqueror could detain.
4 High o'er th'angelic bands he rears
His once dishonoured head;
And through unnumbered years he reigns,
Who dwelt among the dead.