Shrewsbury (Daniel Belknap)
- (Posted 2015-12-02) CPDL #37738:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-12-02). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 65 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. Two more stanzas from Watts' paraphrase included.
- (Posted 2015-12-02) CPDL #37737:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-12-02). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 91 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). Two more stanzas from Watts' paraphrase included.
Description: Isaac Watts' paraphrase of Psalm 50 (nine stanzas) substituted for the words printed with the tune in 1800 (see below).
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Psalm 50.
Words published with this music in 1800
Saved from the ocean and tempestuous skies,
Reduced to dust, here youth and vigor lies;
Dire scenes I saw on Boston's boisterous shore!
Distressing scenes, myself apart have bore!
Learn this, ye gay, that life's a transient flower,
Which grows, and blooms, and withers in an hour.
By an anonymous author, first published in 1800