Number Four (Daniel Belknap)
- (Posted 2015-11-28) CPDL #37697:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-11-28). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 59 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. One small edit, otherwise as written in 1797.
- (Posted 2015-11-28) CPDL #37696:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-11-28). Score information: Unknown, 1 page, 90 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape).
Description: Words by an anonymous author, apparently only printed here.
Original text and translations
Mankind must all return to dust,
From whence their nature sprung at first;
They soon shall wither like a flower,
Which grows and lives but just an hour.
They soon shall huddle to the grave,
They soon must quit the slender stage,
The feeble thread will soon be cut,
Millions are turning to their dust.