Jesus lives! thy terrors now (Henry J. Gauntlett)
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-04-26). Score information: A4, 1 page, 53 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Words and melody from Hymns Ancient and Modern New Standard. Verses not underlaid.
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-04-26). Score information: A4, 1 page, 29 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Words and 4-part harmony from Hymns Ancient and Modern New Standard. Verses underlaid.
- Translation by Frances Elizabeth Cox
Tune Name: St. Albinus
Original text and translations
Jesus lives! thy terrors now
can no more, O death, appal us;
Jesus lives! by this we know
thou, O grave, canst not enthral us.
Jesus lives! henceforth is death
but the gate of life immortal:
this shall calm our trembling breath,
when we pass its gloomy portal.
Jesus lives! for us he died;
then, alone to Jesus living,
pure in heart may we abide,
glory to our Saviour giving.
Jesus lives! our hearts know well
naught from us his love shall sever;
life nor death nor powers of hell
tear us from his keeping ever.
Jesus lives! to him the throne
over all the world is given;
may we go where he is gone,
rest and reign with him in heaven.