In Mariam vite viam (Hermanus de Atrio)
- (Posted 2011-09-02) CPDL #24335:
- Editor: Mick Swithinbank (submitted 2011-09-02). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 53 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Based on the score on cpdl edited by Renato Calcaterra, but with notation modernised, barring and text added, note values halved and a few minor variants incorporated, prompted by reference to the manuscript. 'Cantus' and 'Altus' are my editorial names for the upper voices. In the manuscript they are unnamed, while the third voice down is marked 'tenor' and the fourth 'contratenor'. I have underlaid verses 1-3 and 6-7 of the 14th century hymn for the Visitation, found here.
- (Posted 2011-05-12) CPDL #23543: (XML)
- Editor: Renato Calcaterra (submitted 2011-05-12). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 159 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML file is zipped.
Description: Visitation hymn from the Trent manuscript tr89, copied at Trento between 1455 and 1465, and containing 15th century repertoire. The title next to the superius identifies the text but there is no other underlay. Although I have underlaid all the voices, some of the lower voices could be sung to a vowel instead if the result sounds too confused. The musicologist Marc Lewon has pointed out that in this type of work - particularly if some voices have fewer notes than others - we cannot be sure that all the voices were texted: some might have been vocalised or even played on instruments. - Mick Swithinbank
Original text and translations
1 Im Mariam vite viam matrem veram viventium
1 To Mary, the way of life and true mother of the living,