Astiterunt reges terrae
7th of the Responsories for Holy Saturday.
Source: Vulgate, Psalm 2 vv. 2-3.
These lines from Psalm 2 are also quoted verbatim in the New Testament at Acts 4:25-26. Note that the sequence of the lines in the musical text as quoted here is different from the biblical order. The English translation based on the King James version; “vain thing” is plural in the Latin text.
Settings by composers
- Anonymous Gregorian chant
- Carlo Gesualdo SSATTB
- Orlando di Lasso SATB
- Tomás Luis de Victoria SATB
- Annibale Zoilo SATB
Other settings possibly not included in the manual list above
- Johann Michael Haydn — Astiterunt reges terrae
- Jan Dismas Zelenka — Astiterunt reges terrae, ZWV 55:25
- Jan Dismas Zelenka — Responsories for Holy Saturday, ZWV 55:19-27
Text and translations
Astiterunt reges terrae,
Sono insorti i re della terra,
Congregaram-se os reis da terra,
The kings of the earth rise up,
The kings of the earth stood up, and the princes met together,