Alma Redemptoris Mater a 8 (Collegio Romano ms.) (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
- (Posted 2019-04-22) CPDL #54037:
- Original key (F) - high chiavette:
- Transposed down a tone (E flat):
- Transposed down a minor third (D):
- Transposed down a fourth (C): - Alto in tenor clef
- Editor: Pothárn Imre (submitted 2019-04-22). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 67 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from Palestrina Werke, Band 7. Original note values. In measure 28 in the Bassus the first dotted minim in the source is D, which we have corrected to C.
- Editor: Casey Rule (submitted 2015-02-26). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 74 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: A tone lower, in E flat Major
- Editor: Francesco Spiga (submitted 2015-01-20). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 315 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Based on Breitkopf & Härtel 1876 edition, with Mensurstrich layout. In original notated high clefs, in F (for SATB a lower pitch is recommended). Typesetter's notes in Appendix page.
- Editor: Edward L. Stauff (submitted 2013-09-21). Score information: Letter, 6 pages, 509 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: In F; ed. for SAAB (from SATB); score includes list of editorial changes.
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2011-02-14). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 49 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: A tone lower, in E flat Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score.
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2008-10-06). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 40 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: In E flat.
- Editor: Abel Di Marco (submitted 2003-08-01). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 26.43 MB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: E major
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 1999-07-23). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 64 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: In E flat
- Possible error(s) identified. Error summary: Missing syllable in underlay. See the discussion page for full description.
Title: Alma Redemptoris Mater a 8 (Collegio romano ms), not to be confused with Alma Redemptoris Mater (voci pari) or Alma Redemptoris Mater a 8 (Capella Giulia ms)
Composer: Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina
Number of voices: 8 or 4vv Voicing: SATB.SATB
in alternatim and together; also performable by a single choir SATB Genre: Sacred, Votive antiphon
Instruments: A cappella
Description: As printed in the Palestrina Werke (Breitkopf, vol. 7: 73–75), this is a double-chorus motet in which chorus 1 sings from m. 1 to m. 16, chorus 2 from m. 17 to m. 33, and both choruses together from m. 34 to the end. This antiphonal work is a completely different setting from the two others in the Palestrina Werke, one of which is in fact for four voices and the other of which features some 8-part writing at the very end.
- Opera omnia VII at IMSLP
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Alma Redemptoris Mater.
- Pothárn Imre editions
- Casey Rule editions
- Francesco Spiga editions
- Edward L. Stauff editions
- James Gibb editions
- Keyboard reduction
- John Henry Fowler editions
- Abel Di Marco editions
- Editions with large score files
- Sheet music errors
- Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina compositions
- 8-part choral music
- Sacred music
- Votive antiphons
- Works in Latin
- A cappella
- Sheet music
- Renaissance music