You black bright stars (Thomas Morley)
- (Posted 2011-12-15) CPDL #25155:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2011-12-15). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 30 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Based on #15041, but parts rearranged for SATTB. Bars 31-34 transferred from S to A.
- (Posted 2007-09-11) CPDL #15041:
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2007-09-11). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 34 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
Title: You bright black stars
Composer: Thomas Morley
First published: 1597 in Canzonets or Litle Short Aers to Five and Six Voices, no. 16
Original text and translations
You black bright stars, that shine while daylight lasteth,
Ah, why haste you away when night time hasteth?
In darker nights the stars seem still the lighter,
On me shine then a night with your heams brighter.
Beams that are cause my heart hath so aspired,
Fire mounts aloft and they my heart have fired.