Videns Dominus (Adrian Willaert)
- (Posted 2019-03-17) CPDL #53602:
- Editor: Andrew Fysh (submitted 2019-03-17). Score information: A4, 4 pages Copyright: CC BY SA
- Edition notes: Transposed one tone higher (for SATB). Original note values retained. Transcribed and edited from the two earliest published sources, Attaingnant and Rhau (as detailed below).
- (Posted 2017-06-02) CPDL #44822:
- Editor: Pothárn Imre (submitted 2017-06-02). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 82 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from 1539 print with corrections. Original pitch (chiavi naturali) and note-values.
Title: Videns Dominus flentes sorores Lazari
Composer: Adrian Willaert
Source of text: John 11:33, 35, 43, 44 & 39
First published: 1534 in Attaingnant, Liber undecimus XXVI musicales ... [Paris]
2nd published: 1538 in Rhau, Symphoniæ iucundæ atque adeo breves ... [Wittenberg]
3rd published: 1539 in Musica quatuor vocum quae vulgo motecta nuncupatur liber primus, no. 2
Description: The piece tells the story of Jesus raising Lazarus. Attributed to Philippe Verdelot in Rhau, but confidently attributed to Willaert in all other sources.
Original text and translations
Videns Dóminus flentes soróres Lázari ad monuméntum,
The Lord, seeing the sisters of Lazarus crying at the tomb,
Other variants of Original text and translations may be found at Fremuit spiritu Jesus.