Soft, Cupid, soft (Robert Jones)
- (Posted 2006-03-27) CPDL #11338:
- Editor: Rob Durk (submitted 2006-03-27). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 65 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Original note values and barring. Lute part in modern score notation, but otherwise unchanged. Spelling modernised.
Title: Soft, Cupid, soft
Composer: Robert Jones
Description: The lute parts of A Musicall Dreame and The Muses Gardin for Delights are, in places, crude and dissonant. It has been suggested that, in these cases, Jones is only responsible for the melody and bass lines, but there is little external evidence to support this.
- Texts of five of Jones' publications, including 'The Muses Gardin for Delights', with some midi files (copyright)
Original text and translations
Original spelling, modern orthography
1. Soft Cupid soft, There is no haste,
For all unkindnesse gone and past.
Since thou wilt needs forsake me so,
let us parte friends, before thou goe.
2. Still shalt thou have my heart to use,
When I cannot otherwise chuse,
My life thou mayst command Saunce doubt,
Command I say and goe with out.
3. And if that I doe ever prove,
False and unkind to gentle Love,
Ile not desire to live a day,
Nor any longer then I may.
4. Ile dayly blesse the little God,
But not without a smarting rod,
Wilt thou still unkindly leave mee,
Now I pray God all ill goe with thee.