- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-06-24). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 66 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. The other eight stanzas of Hart's hymn included.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-06-24). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 43 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). The other eight stanzas of Hart's hymn included.
First Line: Revive our drooping faith
Composer: Stephen Jenks
Lyricist: Joseph Hart
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred Meter: 66. 86 (S.M.)
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1818 in The Harmony of Zion, p. 21
Description: Words by Joseph Hart, 1759, entitled To the Holy Ghost, with nine stanzas. Jenks used the third stanza of Hart's hymn in his composition.
Original text and translations
1. Come, Holy Spirit, come;
Let thy bright beams arise,
Dispel the darkness from our minds,
And open all our eyes.
2. Cheer our desponding hearts,
Thou heavenly Paraclete;
Give us to lie, with humble hope,
At our Redeemer’s feet.
3. Revive our drooping faith;
Our doubts and fears remove;
And kindle in our breasts the flames
Of never-dying love.
4. Convince us of our sin;
Then lead to Jesus’ blood:
And to our wandering view reveal
The secret love of God.
5. Show us that loving Man,
That rules the courts of bliss,
The Lord of hosts, the mighty God,
The eternal prince of peace.
6. ‘Tis thine to cleanse the heart,
To sanctify the soul,
To pour fresh life on every part,
And new create the whole.
7. If thou, celestial dove,
Thine influence withdraw,
What easy victims soon we fall
To conscience, wrath, and law!
8. No longer burns our love;
Our faith and patience fail;
Our sin revives; and death and hell
Our feeble souls assail.
9. Dwell therefore in our hearts;
Our minds from bondage free;
Then shall we know, and praise, and love,
The Father, Son, and thee.