O for a lay! (Easter Carol) (Charles Wood)
- (Posted 2016-04-22) CPDL #39397:
- Editor: Shawn Shafer (submitted 2016-04-22). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 285 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Rescored with verses in staff.
- (Posted 2002-03-11) CPDL #03344:
- Editor: Graeme Martin (submitted 2002-03-11). Score information: A4, 1 page, 28 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes:
Original text and translations
O for a lay! For on this day,
This day, the first of the seven
Christ is restored to life, the Lord,
Monarch of earth and of heaven.
Defeated hell, and death as well,
On Easter E'en our God is seen
Standing amid the Eleven.
Fair was the morn when Christ was born,
But fairer yet is the morrow,
When from the dead uprose our Head,
Ending our night-time of sorrow.
And from the light of Easter bright
We, ash and dust, sure hope and trust
of our agen-rising borrow.
So, man, rejoice, uplift thy voice,
Soothly 'tis time to clang the chime,
Sirs, pray you sing to Christ our King,
Who, lately slain, is ris'n again;