O Thou the central orb (Orlando Gibbons)
- Editor: Ben Byram-Wigfield (submitted 2023-11-19). Score information: A4, 12 pages, 774 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- Editor: Adrian Wall (submitted 2015-10-24). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 1.17 MB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Transposed up a minor 3rd. Includes both texts. Includes a keyboard version of the original accompaniment.
- Editor: Michael Gibson (submitted 2008-10-06). Score information: A4, 9 pages, 325 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard version of the original accompaniment.
Manuscript c. 1625-1640 in the Peterhouse Partbooks: Latter Caroline Set (John Cosin)
First published: 1873 as O Thou…
Description: O all true faithful hearts is "A thanksgiving for the King's happy recovery from a great dangerous sickness" (April 1619) and appears in Tudor Church Music vol. 4. For his publication of Gibbons' works in 1873, Frederick Ouseley asked Henry Ramsden Bramley to supply a liturgical text to fit Gibbons' music: Bramley provided his sonnet O thou, the central orb.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at O Thou, the central orb.
O all true faithful hearts, with one accord
United in one head, sing to the Lord,
For he our David from the snares of death
Hath freed; prolong his days, enlarge his breath.
Rejoice in him, give thanks, his great name bless
For a remembrance of his holiness.
His life is worth ten thousand, therefore give
Each soul ten thousand thanks that he doth live
To lead his people forth to pastures green,
To praise his God whose love to us is seen. Rejoice…
Now for the righteous is sprung up a light,
And gladness with each true-hearted wight.
Joy we in him with thanks, that he may bring
More joy unto ourselves, health to our King. Rejoice…