- (Posted 2016-11-23) CPDL #42009:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-11-23). Score information: A4, 1 page, 28 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- (Posted 2007-11-13) CPDL #15399:
- Contributor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2007-11-13). Score information: A4, 1 page, 20 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: SATB version in English from Cyber Hymnal™ - File Sizes: PDF: 20 KB, MIDI: 2 KB, NoteWorthy Composer: 1 KB
Title: O Lord, how joyful 'tis to see
Composer: Samuel Sebastian Wesley
Lyricist: John Chandler
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 88. 88 (L.M.)
First published: 1872 in The Hymnary
Description: Lyrics: Charles Coffin, in the Paris Breviary, 1736 (O quam juvat fratres, Deus); translated from Latin to English by John Chandler, Hymns of the Primitive Church, 1837;
Original text and translations
1 O Lord, how joyful ’tis to see
The brethren join in love to Thee!
On Thee alone their heart relies
Their only strength Thy grace supplies.
2 How sweet within Thy holy place
With one accord to sing Thy grace,
Besieging Thine attentive ear
With all the force of fervent prayer!
3 O may we love the house of God,
Of peace and joy the blest abode;
O may no angry strife destroy
That sacred peace, that holy joy.
4 The world without may rage, but we
Will only cling more close to Thee,
With hearts to Thee more wholly giv’n,
More weaned from earth, more fixed on heav’n.
5 Lord, shower upon us from above
The sacred gift of mutual love;
Each other’s wants may we supply,
And reign together in the sky.
6 Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow,
Praise Him, all creatures here below,
Praise Him above, angelic host,
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.