Aliases: Matthias Weckman
Born: probably 1616
Dead: 24 February 1674
Matthias Weckmann was a North German musician and composer of the Baroque music period. He was born in Niederdorla (Thuringia) and died in Hamburg.
His musical training took place in Dresden (as a chorister at the Saxon Court, under the direction of Heinrich Schütz), then in Hamburg where he worked with the famous organist Jacob Praetorius at Saint Peter's church (Petrikirche).
He was introduced to the Italian concertato, Venetian polychoral style and monodic styles — because Schütz had journeyed in Italy when a young man and he had met Giovanni Gabrieli and Monteverdi — as well as the style of Sweelinck's pupils, some of whom had settled in Hamburg. Weckmann travelled to Denmark in 1637 with Schütz, became organist in Dresden at the Electoral Court of Saxony from 1638 to 1642, and returned to Denmark until 1647 (during the Thirty Years' War).
During a new (and his last) stay in Dresden from 1649 to 1655, he met Johann Jakob Froberger during a musical competition which had been organized by the Elector. They remained friends and in correspondence with each other. In 1655, after a competition, he was named titular organist at the Jakobkirche in Hamburg, and spent his remaining life there. He founded a renowned orchestral ensemble, the so-called Collegium Musicum in Hamburg. This was the most productive period of his life: his compositions of this time include a collection of 1663, which set sacred texts mentioning the terrible plague which killed many of his colleagues in Hamburg that year, including Heinrich Scheidemann.
- The above is an excerpt from Wikipedia. For the full article, click here.
List of choral works at CPDL
No works currently available
Choral works not at CPDL
- Angelicus coeli chorus (SB, 2vln bc)
- Es erhub sich ein Streit (5vv 2 vln 3 trombones)
- Gegrüsset seist du, Holdselige (ST 2vln 2 recorders)
- Herr, wenn ich nur dich habe, (ATB, str.; not in DDT)
- Kommet her zu mir alle, die ihr mühselig und beladen seid (B 5 str)
- Rex vertutum (B 2 vln)
- Weine nicht, es hat überwunden (ATB 6 str))
- Wenn der Herr die Gefangenen zu Zion (SATB 5 str)
- Wie liegt die Stadt so wüste (SB 5 str; not in DDT)
- Wo willen wir einkehren (Dialogo von Tobia undt Raguel) (ATB 2 vln; not in DDT: wrongly attr. Rosenmuller)
- Zion spricht, der Herr hat mich verlassen (ATB 5 str; not in DDT)
- 9 songs (P. von Zesen) (1668, 1670)
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL