Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John (Gustav Holst)
- (Posted 2020-07-13) CPDL #59724:
- Editor: Douglas Walczak (submitted 2020-07-13). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 60 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes:
- (Posted 2016-04-12) CPDL #39299:
- Editor: Peter Kaplan (submitted 2016-04-12). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 143 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: With piano reduction for rehearsal only.
This edition dedicated to David H. A. Connell, DMA, Director of the Yale Glee Club 1992-2002. Gaudeamus.
First published: 1916
Description: One of six folksongs in the set.
External websites: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew,_Mark,_Luke_and_John
Original text and translations
1 Matthew, Mark and Luke and John,
Bless the bed that I lie on.
Four angels to my bed,
Two to bottom, two to head,
Two to hear me when I pray,
Two to bear my soul away.
2 God is the branch and I the flower,
Pray God send me a blessed hour.
I go to bed some sleep to take:
The Lord, He knows if I shall wake.
Sleep I ever, sleep I never,
God receive my soul for ever.