Light's abode, celestial Salem (Henry Thomas Smart)
- (Posted 2020-11-23) CPDL #61635:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-23). Score information: A4, 1 page, 47 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- (Posted 2020-11-23) CPDL #61634:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-23). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 169 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words.
- (Posted 2010-10-07) CPDL #22407:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-10-07). Score information: A4, 1 page, 21 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: From the English Hymnal, 1931.
Original text and translations
1. Light's abode, celestial Salem, Vision dear whence peace doth spring,
Brighter than the heart can fancy, Mansion of the highest King;
O, how glorious are the praises Which of thee the Prophets sing.
2. There for ever and for ever Alleluia is outpoured;
For unending, for unbroken Is the feast-day of the Lord;
All is pure and all is holy That within these walls is stored.
3. There no cloud of passing vapour Dims the brightness of the air;
Endless noonday, glorious noonday, From the Sun of suns is there;
There no night brings rest from labour, There unknown are toil and care.
4. O how glorious and resplendent, Fragile body, thou shalt be,
When endued with so much beauty, Full of health, and strong, and free,
Full of vigour, full of pleasure That shall last eternally.
5. Now with gladness, now with courage, Bear the burden on thee laid,
That hereafter these thy labours May with endless gifts be paid,
And in everlasting glory Thou with joy may'st be arrayed.
6. Laud and honour to the Father, Laud and honour to the Son,
Laud and honour to the Spirit, Ever Three and ever One,
Consubstantial, coeternal, While unending ages run.