Let thy hand be strengthened (John Blow)
- (Posted 2010-01-17) CPDL #20855:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-01-17). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 55 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score. revised files uploaded 11/05/2016.
- (Posted 2000-01-11) CPDL #00043: (Finale 1998)
- Editor: Rafael Ornes (submitted 2000-01-11). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 52 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: revised by Christian Mondrup.
Description: Written for the coronation of James II of England in 1685. The text is from Psalm 89 vv 14-15, but not the BCP version, nor the King James (I) version, presumably because these were protestant and James was a Roman Catholic. It seems to be from the Douai-Rheims version (Psalm 88, because of the difference in numbering), which was a Roman Catholic translation of the Latin Vulgate into English, roughly contemporaneous with the KJV.
Original text and translations
Let thy hand be strengthen'd and thy right hand be exalted,
Let justice and judgment be the preparation of thy seat,
Let mercy and truth go before thy face.