Hence, stars too dim of light (Michael East)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2011-08-10). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 66 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score.
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-11-15). Score information: Letter, 6 pages, 59 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Copyright (c) 2004 by V. M. Brennan.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2005-08-30). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 40 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
Title: Hence stars, too dim of light
Composer: Michael East
First published: 1601 in The Triumphs of Oriana, no.
Description: No. 1 from The Triumphs of Oriana (placed in front because East's submission to the publication was late, and the rest of the plates were already put together).
Original text and translations
Hence stars, too dim of light,
you dazzle but the sight,
you teach to grope by night.
See here the shepherds star
excelling you so far,
Then Phoebus wiped his eyes
and Zeph'rus cleared the Skies
in sweet accented cries.
Then sang the shepherds and nymphs of Diana,
Long live fair Oriana.