Born: 21 September 1452
Died: 23 May 1498
Girolamo Savonarola was an Italian Dominican friar: following the invasion of Florence by Charles VIII of France in 1494, and the overthrow of the ruling Medici family, he set up a republic in the city. He was excommunicated by Pope Alexander VI on May 13, 1497, and executed the following year.
View the Wikipedia article on Girolamo Savonarola.
Settings of text by Girolamo Savonarola
- Infelix ego (Adrian Willaert)
- Infelix ego (Cipriano de Rore)
- Infelix ego (Orlando di Lasso)
- Infelix ego - Quid igitur faciam? - Ad te igitur (William Byrd)
- O quam dulcis (Jean Richafort)
- Tristitia obsedit me (Claude Le Jeune)
add web links here