Dear Father Philip (hymn tune Ladywood CM) (Oliver Hayes)
- Editor: Oliver Hayes (submitted 2018-05-26). Score information: A4, 1 page, 65 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
First published: 2017
Description: Hymn to St. Philip Neri, written to the hymn tune Ladywood.
Original text and translations
1. Dear Father Philip, turn your gaze
to us who dwell on earth.
Plead to Our Lord, who shared our state,
that we may prove our worth.
2. God preordained that we should live
in this time, here and now.
Grant that our hearts be open to
the word he sends to sow.
3. Let them not be stony and cold,
and full of empty pride,
but burning with the fire of love
where faith and hope abide.
4. May we not seek the praise of men,
desiring to be shown
as great and glorious in this life,
but love to be unknown.
5. Grant that we seek no home on earth
or vain hopes in this place,
but ready be at every hour
to meet God face to face.
6. To God’s great mercy we entrust
our lost and sinful past,
and to his blessed providence
our future shall we cast.
7. O Holy Father, grant that, of
no glory shall we boast,
save God the Father, God the Son
and God the Holy Ghost.