- (Posted 2015-09-30) CPDL #37011:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-09-30). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 60 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. Edited slightly to equalize phrases. The other five stanzas of Williams' hymn added below.
- (Posted 2015-09-30) CPDL #37010:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-09-30). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 66 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added. Slightly edited to equalize phrases. The other five stanzas of Williams' hymn added below, renumbered.
First Line: When gladness wings my favored hour
Composer: Oliver Holden
Lyricist: Helen Williams
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred Meter: 86. 86 (C.M.)
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1803 in The Charlestown Collection, 1803, p. 64
Description: Words by Helen M. Williams, 1786, in six stanzas. Holden used the fifth stanza of Williams' hymn in his composition.
Original text and translations
1. While Thee I seek, protecting Power,
Be my vain wishes stilled;
And may this consecrated hour
With better hopes be filled.
2. Thy love the powers of thought bestowed,
To Thee my thoughts would soar:
Thy mercy o'er my life has flowed;
That mercy I adore.
3. In each event of life, how clear
Thy ruling hand I see;
Each blessing to my soul more dear,
Because conferred by Thee.
4. In every joy that crowns my days,
In every pain I bear,
My heart shall find delight in praise,
Or seek relief in prayer.
5. When gladness wings my favored hour,
Thy love my thoughts shall fill;
Resigned, when storms of sorrow lower,
My soul shall meet Thy will.
6. My lifted eye, without a tear,
The lowering storm shall see;
My steadfast heart shall know no fear;
That heart will rest on Thee.