- (Posted 2015-04-10) CPDL #35030:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-04-10). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 64 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. Three more stanzas from Grigg's hymn added below.
- (Posted 2015-04-10) CPDL #35029:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-04-10). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 67 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). Three more stanzas from Grigg's hymn added below.
Title: Boston New
First Line: Jesus, and shall it ever be
Composer: Ephraim Reed
Lyricist: Joseph Grigg
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred Meter: 88. 88 (L.M.)
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1817 in Musical Monitor, pp. 74-75
Description: Words by Joseph Grigg, 1765.
Original text and translations
Jesus! and shall it ever be
A mortal man ashamed of Thee!
Ashamed of Thee whom angels praise,
Whose glories shine through endless days.
Ashamed of Jesus! Sooner far
Let evening blush to own a star;
He sheds the beams of light divine,
O'er this benighted soul of mine.
Ashamed of Jesus! Just as soon
Let midnight be ashamed of noon;
'Tis midnight with my soul till He
Bright morning-star bid darkness flee.
Ashamed of Jesus! That dear Friend
On whom my hopes of heaven depend!
No! When I blush – be this my shame –
That I no more revere His name.
Ashamed of Jesus! Yes, I may
When I've no guilt to wash away,
No tear to wipe, no good to crave,
No fears to quell, no soul to save.
'Til then – nor is my boasting vain –
Till then, I boast a Savior slain!
And O, may this my glory be,
That Christ is not ashamed of me!
His institutions would I prize,
Take up the cross, my shame despise;
Dare to defend His noble cause,
And yield obedience to His laws.
Not Ashamed of Christ, by J. Grigg (from Rippon's Selection)