All pleasure is of this condition (John Wilbye)
- (Posted 2011-09-09) CPDL #24417:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2011-09-09). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 62 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Underlay of #6648 followed for bars 1-21; that of Reprint: London: Musical Antiquarian Society Publications, n.d. (ca.1840). Plate No. 2 from bar 72 onward.
- (Posted 2004-02-04) CPDL #06648:
- Editor: Ken Williams (submitted 2004-02-04). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 196 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: SSATB version.
Title: All Pleasure is of this Condition
Composer: John Wilbye
Description: The original is SSAAB; the two alto parts have identical ranges. quite high for tenor and quite low for alto.
Original text and translations
All pleasure is of this condition,
It pricks men forward to fruition,
But if enjoy'd, then like the humming Bee,
The honey being shed, away doth flee;
But leaves a sting, that wounds the inward heart
With gnawing grief and never-ending smart.