A shepherd in a shade his plaining made (John Dowland)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2017-03-04). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 49 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Reformatting of #16806. Repeats rationalised and English modernised.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2008-05-06). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 27 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
- Editor: Daniel Harmer (submitted 2006-06-13). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 89 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- Editor: Laura Conrad (submitted 2000-06-21). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 90 kB Copyright: GnuGPL
- Edition notes: in partbook format
- Editor: Frank Nordberg (submitted 1999-10-14). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 144 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- Editor: Eva Toller (submitted 2002-08-23). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 82 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Arranged for TTBB. All files are available on http://www.evatoller.se/main_men_titles_A-D.html (MIDI files available for each part.)
Arranger: Eva Toller
Title: A shepherd in a shade his plaining made
Composer: John Dowland
Original text and translations
A shepherd in a shade,
his plaining made,
of love and lovers wrong,
Unto the fairest lasse,
that trode on grasse,
and thus began his song.
Restore, restore my hart againe,
Which love by thy sweet looks hath slaine,
Least that inforst by your distaine,
I sing, fie fie on love,
it is a foolish thing
Since love and fortune will,
I honour still,
your faire and lovely eye,
What conquest will it be,
Sweet nymph, for thee,
If I for sorrow dye.
My hart where have you laid
O cruell maide,
To kill when you might save,
Why have yee cast it forth
as nothing worth,
Without a tombe or grave.
O let it bee intombed and lye,
In your sweet minde and memorie,
Least I resound on every warbling string,
Fye fye on love
it is a foolish thing.