Tristitia et anxietas (Jacobus Clemens non Papa)
- (Posted 2017-02-25) CPDL #43284:
- Editor: Mick Swithinbank (submitted 2017-02-25). Score information: A4, 15 pages, 119 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- (Posted 2017-02-24) CPDL #43275:
- Editor: Mick Swithinbank (submitted 2017-02-24). Score information: A4, 15 pages, 120 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: At original pitch and with original note values, but modern clefs. In bar 126, Tenor's minims D and F replace a semibreve F in the source.
Corrected version of score posted on 25 February 2017, with some changes of ficta and underlay.
Title: Tristitia et anxietas
Composer: Jacobus Clemens non Papa
Description: Somewhat unusually, Susato gave it a key signature of two flats, although some E flats require editorial cancellation, and in general quite a lot of editorial accidentals seem called for. The first word of the text is consistently spelled tristicia, which may cast light on the pronunciation of Latin in 16th century Flanders. The original clefs were C1, C3, C4 and F4.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Tristitia et anxietas - Sed tu Domine (William Byrd).