The Crucifixion (John Stainer)
- Editor: Rod Mather (added 2002-05-25). Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Complete work. Listed under "The Crucifixion", not "Crucifixion, The".
Title: The Crucifixion
Subtitle: A Meditation on the Sacred Passion of the Holy Redeemer
Composer: John Stainer
Text: selected and written by Rev. J Sparrow-Simpson, 1887
Description: Tenor and Bass Soli and male Soli from the choir.
Movements (some available separately):
- Recit. And they came to a place named Gethsemane
- The Agony
- Processional to Calvary
- Recit. And when they were come
- [Hymn] The Mystery of the Divine Humiliation
- Recit. He Made Himself of no reputation
- The Majesty of the Divine Humiliation
- Recit. And as Moses lifted up the serpent
- Chorus God so loved the world
- [Hymn] Litany of the Passion
- Recit. Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them'
- Duet So Thou liftest Thy divine petition
- [Hymn] The Mystery of the Intercession
- Recit. And one of the malefactors
- [Hymn] The Adoration of the Crucified
- Recit. When Jesus therefore saw his mother
- Recit. Is It Nothing To You?
- [Chorus] The Appeal of the Crucified
- Recit. and Chorus After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished
- [Hymn] For the Love Of Jesus
- Listen to a free recording of God so loved the world (a movement of this work) from Coro Nostro, a mixed chamber choir based in Leicester, UK.
- Learn your notes for this work
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at The Crucifixion.