Aliases: Michael Este
Born: c. 1580
English composer. Probably the son of Thomas East. Provided a madrigal to The Triumphs of Oriana (1601); took a B.Mus. at Cambridge in 1606; perhaps served the Hatton family for a time; cited as a clerk at Ely Cathedral, 1609–14. He was master of the choristers at Lichfield by 1618; supplied an anthem for St. John's College, Oxford, in 1620. He issued seven publications: two madrigal books (1604, 1606); two varied collections of madrigals, consort songs, and anthems, the earlier print also containing a series of viol fancies (1610, 1618); two books exclusively for viol (1618–38); and a collection of anthems and consort songs. Service music and other anthems remain in manuscript.
View the Wikipedia article on Michael East.
List of choral works
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
- Published Madrigales to 3. 4. and 5. parts: apt for viols and voices (1604)
- The Second Set of Madrigales to 3. 4. and 5. parts (1606)
- The Third Set of Bookes (1610)
- The Fift Set of Bookes … as apt for Vyols as Voyces (1618)
- The Fourth Set of Bookes (1619)
- The Sixt Set of Bookes (1624)
- The Seventh Set of Bookes (1638)