Love, love (Robert Jones)
- Editor: robd (added 2006-03-27). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 67 kbytes Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Original note values and barring. Lute part in modern score notation, but otherwise unchanged. Spelling modernised.
Title: Love, love
Composer: Robert Jones
Original text and translations
Original spelling, modern orthography
1. Loue Is a prettie Frencie,
a melancholy fire,
begot by lookes, maintain'd with hopes,
and hey th'end, by desire.
2. Love is a pretie Tyrant,
By our affections armed,
Take them away, none lives this day,
The Coward boy hath harmed.
3. Love is a pretie Idole,
Opinion did devise him,
His votaries is slouth and lies,
The Robes that doe disguise him.
4. Love is a pretie Painter,
And counterfeiteth passion,
His shadow'd lies, makes fancies rise,
To set beliefe in fashion.
5. Love is a pretie Pedlar,
Whose Packe is fraught with sorrowes,
With doubts with fears, with sighs with teares,
Some joyes, but those he borrowes.
6. Love is a pretie nothing,
Yet what a quoile it keepes,
With thousand eyes of jealousies,
Yet no one ever sleepes.