Joyful Tidings (Oliver Holden)
- (Posted 2015-07-18) CPDL #36158:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-07-18). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 67 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition, as written in 1800. Three more pairs of stanzas from Stennett's hymn added below. MusicXML source file(s) in compressed .mxl format.
- (Posted 2015-07-18) CPDL #36157:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-07-18). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 66 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). Three more pairs of stanzas added below.
Description: Words adapted from Samuel Stennett's hymn, 1787, in nine stanzas. Holden used stanzas one and two of Stennett's hymn in his composition.
Original text and translations
1. When first the God of boundless grace (a)
4. Will the Almighty deign again
7. The Son of God attentive heard,
Mercy and truth met together, or, the harmony of the divine perfections, based on Psalm 85:10
- (a) Holden has "boundless might." (b) Holden has "unhappy race." (c) Holden has "From death and shame."
- (d) Holden has "tidings came." (e) Holden has "God could dwell."