Fair nymphs, I heard one telling (John Farmer)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2011-08-06). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 108 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score.. revised files uploaded 04/02/17.
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-12-06). Score information: Letter, 7 pages, 78 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Copyright (c) 2004 by V. M. Brennan
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2005-08-30). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 56 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
- Editor: Frank van Nimwegen (submitted 2001-10-25). Score information: A4, 7 pages, 151 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Title: Fair nymphs, I heard one telling
Composer: John Farmer
Number of voices: 6vv Voicing: SSATBB
Genre: Secular, Madrigal
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1601 in The Triumphs of Oriana, no. 14
Original text and translations
Fair nymphs, I heard one telling,
to beautify the place,
The fawns are running,
The shepherds their pipes tuning
To show their cunning.
The lambs amazed leave off their grazing
And blind their eyes with gazing,
Attended by the Muses and the Graces.
Then sang the shepherds and nymphs of Diana
Long live fair Oriana.