Down from above (Thomas Bateson)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2011-07-12). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 93 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score. Revised files uploaded 26/06/21.
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-11-15). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 43 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Copyright (c) 2004 by V. M. Brennan
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2005-08-30). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 32 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
Title: Down from above
Composer: Thomas Bateson
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Secular, Madrigal
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1598 in The First Set of English Madrigals to 3-6 voices, no. 9
Original text and translations
Down from above falls Jove in rain,
Into fair Danae's lap amain,
She starts thereat, she starts thereat,
Yet lamblike still,
At last performeth all his will,
Both high and low such golden gifts,
Will put their conscience to the shift.