Chandos Anthem No. 6: HWV 251b - As pants the hart (George Frideric Handel)
- Editor: Brian Bartoldus (submitted 2015-05-28). Score information: Letter, 74 pages, 3.06 MB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Full score. This edition draws from the Chrysander complete works.
- Editor: Brian Bartoldus (submitted 2015-05-28). Score information: Letter, 59 pages, 2.58 MB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Orchestra parts to match full score #35585 listed above.
- Editor: Brian Bartoldus (submitted 2015-05-28). Score information: Letter, 20 pages, 825 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Continuo realization of #35585 by Brian Bartoldus.
- Editor: Johannes Becker (submitted 2015-01-11). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 150 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Voice parts only. Middle voice written as alto, alternative octaves given.
First published: 1717
Description: The second of 5 versions by Handel, also identified as HG xxxiv,207 or HHA iii/5,53
External websites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Pants_the_Hart_%28Handel%29
Original text and translations
I. Original text and translations may be found at Psalm 42.
As pants the hart for cooling streams, so longs my soul for thee, O God.
Tears are my daily food: while thus they say, where is now thy God?
Now when I think thereupon, I pour out my heart by myself:
for I went with the multitude, and brought them out into the house of God.
In the voice of praise and thanksgiving: among such as keep holy day.
Why so full of grief, O my soul: why so disquieted within me?
Put thy trust in God: for I will praise him.