Vespers for St David of Wales (Gregorian chant)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Editor: Richard Mix (submitted 2022-03-01). Score information: Letter, 8 pages, 306 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: This is an edition in BCP English prepared for 2022, using Iste confessor (Guillaume Dufay) and Magnificat from Tomkins' First Service. Corrections & comments are very welcome; the interpretation of the ms. differentiae is something I mean to return to next year.
Original text and translations
- The angel said to Patrick, "One yet to come after thirty years have passed by, David, shall arise here".
- The eyes of his teacher, made dark with so much weeping, David opened to the light with a touch of his hand.
- For sending those forward women to break the saints' resolve, was the author of the crime punished with her husband.
- Once the poisoned morsel had been swallowed from that loaf of twisted bread, both crow and likewise dog soon perished; the saint however was preserved.
- That all who were there might how well he could reason, the earth did rise in a mound, a fitting place for him to stand.
- Help us by the heavenly aid that works through David: That being guarded at its parting from this earthly flesh, with exultation our spirit may place its hope in the divinely given grace of glorious life.