Welcome (Oliver Holden)
- (Posted 2016-01-02) CPDL #38041:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-01-02). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 74 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. All seven stanzas included.
- (Posted 2016-01-02) CPDL #38040:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-01-02). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 75 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). All seven stanzas included.
Description: Words by Joseph Hart, 1759, entitled Come and Welcome to Jesus Christ, with seven stanzas. Hart's hymn has an unusual meter: 87. 87. 12 7, the fifth line consisting of a four-beat phrase repeated three times. This was amended by Augustus Toplady in 1776 to 87. 87. 47, the words Holden used.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Come, ye sinners, poor and wretched.