Weißt du, wie viel Sternlein stehen (Traditional)
- Editor: Sophia Green (submitted 2021-07-29). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 81 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Four verses, with a new third verse, and original third verse becoming the fourth verse.
- Editor: Sophia Green (submitted 2021-07-27). Score information: Letter (landscape), 1 page, 370 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Early German hymnal with original lyrics and SATB arrangement (1866).
First published: 1818
2nd published: 1837 in Noch fünfzig Fabeln für Kinder (Wilhelm Hey)
Description: The first known publication of the melody for this lullaby dates back to 1818, and harkens back to other, older folk-songs, sung to the same melody but with different lyrics. The best known among these is the earlier folk-song So viel Stern am Himmel stehen (loosely translated as So Many Stars Light the Heavens). That song was presumably the basis upon which the pastor, children's story writer and poet, Wilhelm Hey, wrote the children's song now most often associated with this melody, Weißt du, wie viel Sterne (Sternlein) stehen.
- Do You Know How Many Stars Light (Sophia Green) – This lullaby in English translation
Original text and translations
1 Weißt du, wie viel Sterne stehen