Weary wind of the west (Edward Elgar)
- (Posted 2019-02-17) CPDL #53327:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2019-02-17). Score information: A4, 7 pages, 120 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from the edition on IMSLP. Keyboard reduction of the vocal part for practice included.
- (Posted 2012-01-26) CPDL #25489: (Sibelius 6)
- Editor: Ian Haslam (submitted 2012-01-26). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 52 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: In bars 81 to 85 the 1st and 2nd alto lines are swapped.
First published: 1903
Description: Published by Novello as part-song number 901
Original text and translations
WEARY wind of the West
Over the billowy sea —
Come to my heart, and rest !
Ah, rest with me!
Come from the distance dim
Bearing the sun's last sigh ;
I hear thee sobbing for him
Through all the sky."
So the wind came,
Purpling the middle sea,
Crisping the ripples of flame —
Came unto me;
Came with a rush to the shore,
Came with a bound to the hill,
Fell, and died at my feet—
Then all was still.