We plough the fields, and scatter (Johann Abraham Peter Schulz)
- CPDL #63085: (Posted 2021-02-21)
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2021-02-21). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 54 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- CPDL #63084: (Posted 2021-02-21)
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2021-02-21). Score information: A4, 1 page, 164 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words.
- Translation by Jane Montgomery Campbell
External websites: https://embassysingers.de/scores/hymns.html
Original text and translations
We plough the fields, and scatter
the good seed on the land,
but it is fed and watered
by God’s almighty hand:
he sends the snow in winter,
the warmth to swell the grain,
the breezes, and the sunshine,
and soft, refreshing rain.
Refrain: All good gifts around us
are sent from heaven above;
then thank the Lord, O thank the Lord,
for all his love.
He only is the maker
of all things near and far;
he paints the wayside flower,
he lights the evening star;
the winds and waves obey him,
by him the birds are fed;
much more to us, his children,
he gives our daily bread.
We thank thee then, O Father,
for all things bright and good,
the seed-time and the harvest,
our life, our health, our food.
Accept the gifts we offer
for all thy love imparts,
and, what thou most desirest,
our humble, thankful hearts.