We need not shrink in time of trial (Thurlow Weed)
- Editor: Thurlow Weed (submitted 2020-06-09). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 23 kB Copyright: CC BY NC ND
- Edition notes:
Title: We need not shrink in time of trial
Composer: Thurlow Weed
Lyricist: Michael Hudson
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 86. 86 (C.M.)
First published: 2020
Description: The hymn tune is named to honour Martin Gugino, the long-time civil rights activist who was assaulted and seriously injured by police in Buffalo, New York in the wake of the death of George Floyd.
Original text and translations
1. We need not shrink in time of trial
or curse an enemy;
in crisis Jesus gathered strength
and so, by grace, can we.
2. The Word of God is always near
to strengthen and to bless;
it is attention that improves
when we are in distress.
3. There is a deep, abiding truth
that only comes to light
when people, for the love of God,
contend for what is right.
4. So when injustice muffles truth
we may, by faith, rejoice --
The Word which was and always is
will help us find our voice.
From Songs for the Cycle ©2004 by Michael Hudson.
Church Publishing Incorporated. All rights reserved. Used by permission.