Vidi speciosam (Pierre de Manchicourt)
- (Posted 2020-01-09) CPDL #56591:
- Editor: Andrew Fysh (submitted 2020-01-09). Score information: A4, 16 pages, 431 kB Copyright: CC BY SA
- Edition notes: Transposed a minor third higher (for SSAATTBB), otherwise identical to CPDL #56590 below. Updated edition uploaded 13 August 2020.
- (Posted 2020-01-09) CPDL #56590:
- Editor: Andrew Fysh (submitted 2020-01-09). Score information: A4, 16 pages, 426 kB Copyright: CC BY SA
- Edition notes: At original notated pitch (for SSAATTBB or SSTTTTBB). Original note values retained. Transcribed and edited from the 1564 publication and the Kassel manuscript described below. Updated edition uploaded 13 August 2020.
Title: Vidi speciosam 2.p. Quae est ista quae processit
Composer: Pierre de Manchicourt
Source of text: from Song of Songs
Description: This is one of seven settings of text from the Song of Songs (Canticum Canticorum) among Manchicourt's output of more than seventy motets, and his only surviving eight-part motet. It is the opening work of two printed collections — Attaingnant's 1545 reissue of his 1539 volume of Manchicourt motets, and the first volume of Berg & Neuber's Thesaurus musicus. It also appears in three hand-copied manuscripts — two from Bavaria and one from the Kassel court of Philip of Hesse. Also appearing in the same volume of Thesaurus musicus is a contrafactum of this motet, Salva nos Christe Salvator, attributed dubiously to Jacobus Clemens non Papa.
Original text and translations
Vidi speciósam sicut colúmbam,
I beheld her, beautiful as a dove,
Original text and translations may be found at Vidi speciosam.