Upon a hill, the bonny boy (Thomas Weelkes)
- (Posted 2012-01-09) CPDL #25309:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2012-01-09). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 25 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transposed down a 4th. Spelling modernised.
Title: Upon a hill, the bonny boy
Composer: Thomas Weelkes
Description: Original is SSA.
Original text and translations
1. Upon a hill, the bonny boy,
Sweet Thirsis sweetly play'd,
And call'd his lambs their master's joy,
And more he would have said.
But love, that giveth lovers wings,
Withdrew his mind from other things.
2. His pipe and he could not agree,
For Milla was his note.
This silly pipe could never get
This lovely name by rote.
With that, they both fell in a sound,
He fell asleep, his pipe to ground.