Un doux nenny (Orlando di Lasso)
- (Posted 2015-01-29) CPDL #34434:
- A4 size: - Original pitch (high chiavette)
- A4 size: - Transposed down a fourth
- Letter size: - Original pitch (high chiavette)
- Letter size: - Transposed down a fourth
- Editor: Pothárn Imre (submitted 2015-01-29). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 79 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Original note-values.
- Update: 2017-04-14. Tenor notes in bar 27 have been corrected. (First two minims are D instead of E.)
First published: 1560 in Tiers livre des chansons a 4-6 parties, no. 8
2nd published: 1564 in Quinsieme livre de chansons à quatre cinq & six parties de pleusieurs autheurs. Le Roy et Ballard, Paris
3rd published: 1570 in Mellange d'Orlande de Lassus, no. 9
Description: Nenny is a familiar way of saying "no," such as the refusal with which a maiden (in this case, possibly Marguerite de Navarre) would deter potential lovers during courting. The epigram has also been attributed to Mellin de Saint-Gelais.
Original text and translations
Un doux nenni avec un doux sourire
As simple “no” said with a smile that’s sweet