This is the record of John (Orlando Gibbons)
- Editor: James Wetzel (submitted 2020-05-22). Score information: Letter, 11 pages, 120 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: a half step lower into E.
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2018-03-13). Score information: A4, 9 pages, 117 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: a minor third higher.
- Editor: Lewis Jones (submitted 2010-08-21). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 79 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: In original key: top line is suitable for any voice capable of taking a "mean" part.
- Editor: Anthony Wilson (submitted 2008-10-31). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 90 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: a minor third higher. Does not specify verse passages. Accompaniment on separate staves.
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 1999-05-14). Score information: Letter, 13 pages, 126 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: a minor third higher. Accompaniment on singers' staves.
Title: This is the record of John
Composer: Orlando Gibbons
Source of text: John 1: 19-23
Description: Verse anthem in 5 parts for voices and instruments/organ. Apt for Advent III B
Original text and translations
This is the record of John,
when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him,
Who art thou?
And he confessed and denied not, and said plainly,
I am not the Christ.
And they asked him, What art thou then? Art thou Elias?
And he said, I am not.
Art thou the prophet?
And he answered, No.
Then said they unto him,
What art thou? that we may give an answer unto them that sent us.
What sayest thou of thyself?
And he said, I am the voice of him that crieth in the wilderness,
Make straight the way of the Lord.