Die beste Zeit (Robert Franz)
In original German
- (Posted 2020-12-17) CPDL #62024:
- Editor: Nikolaus Hold (submitted 2020-12-17). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 90 kB Copyright: CC BY NC
- Edition notes:
In English translation: The fairest time
- (Posted 2020-01-13) CPDL #56624:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2020-01-13). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 104 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transposed down a semitone from the source. The last few bars of Soprano and Alto have been rearranged to avoid high Alto notes.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Die beste Zeit im Jahr ist mein (Arnold Mendelssohn).
The fairest time in all the year
Is when the songs of birds we hear,
Songs that are filling earth and sky,
Thick-warbled notes, far off and nigh.
And chief the charming nightingale,
With new delight inspires the vale
That hears her sweet and lovely lay.
To her unceasing thanks we pay:
Much more to God our gracious Lord,
At whose bidding are outpoured
The matchless notes from her that fall,
The singer first, and best of all.
Singing and praising day and night,
She thinks her welcome labour light:
Thus I would song and praise outpour,
And thank my God for evermore.
Translation by John Troutbeck