The Incarnation (James P. Carrell)
- (Posted 2017-03-10) CPDL #43485:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-03-10). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 118 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note heads converted to oval shapes. A few small edits.
- (Posted 2017-03-10) CPDL #43484:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-03-10). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 3 pages, 122 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note heads in four-shape format, as originally published in 1821.
Description: Begins with a Treble or Tenor solo. Author unknown among the several people named Thomas Wood.
Original text and translations
Long had the voice of prophecy foretold
Messiah‘s advent: “Unto us is born
A son, a child to us is given. On him
Shall be the rule of nations: and his name
Shall be, the Wonderful, the Counselor,
The mighty God, the everlasting Sire,
The Prince of Peace. His government and peace
Shall still increase for ever. He shall sit
On David’s throne, and kingdom evermore.
With judgment and with justice, he shall sway
His righteous scepter: all shall he order,
All establish firm. I, the Lord, have said,
And will perform my word.”
The Methodist Magazine, 1820, Vol. 3, p. 477 (about 150 more lines)
"From the London Methodist Magazine", attributed to "T. W."