Template talk:NameSorter

From ChoralWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This template does not correctly extract the LastName of a composer, for example, for Marcos Coelho Neto compositions (LastName is Coelho Neto, not Neto) or Ralph Vaughan Williams compositions (LastName is Vaughan Williams, not Williams). -- Chucktalk Giffen 22:23, 11 May 2009 (UTC)

Chuck, the idea of this template is to do exactly what its name says: to put the last name first. I'd say that this solution works properly for 90% of the composer and user names. For the remaining 10% of the cases, the sortkey will still have to be added by hand. Creating a template to do what you suggest would require a kind of artificial intelligence that is not yet available in the wiki platform ;^) —Carlos Email.gif 02:50, 12 May 2009 (UTC)
Oh, now I see your point, you refer to the categories listed in the Composer works categories, right? Well, since they are hidden from the users in the work pages, I didn't care much about their sort order. Nevertheless, in template CompCatTxt a solution was provided in order to add the sortkey to these categories when necessary. I just didn't update the documentation properly, my fault. So, in the specific case of Vaughan Williams' category and others in the same situation, the template should be used as follows:
{{CompCatTxt|Vaughan Williams, Ralph}}
Notice the difference from the standard syntax for this template:
{{CompCatTxt|Ralph|Vaughan Williams}}
In the first case, the category is hidden and sorted as "Vaughan Williams, Ralph". In the latter, the category is sorted in the same manner, with the difference that it becomes visible and is included in category Composer works categories instead. Thanks to the NameSorter template, if someone decides to correct the sort order of the entries in category Composer works categories, he/she will not have to add a sort key to each of the 1378 pages, but only to a small fraction of them. —Carlos Email.gif 03:15, 12 May 2009 (UTC)
Okay, at least the problem can be fixed. But the fix will require finding that small fraction of the 1378 pages that need fixing. By the way, I discovered the problem when I using these two categories to build a composer catalog using DPL - hence the need to maintain proper sort order. -- Chucktalk Giffen 13:17, 12 May 2009 (UTC)
I see. Finding the pages that require a sort key won't be so difficult if you compare the list with the Composers category, which is already (supposedly) sorted properly. Alternatively, you could try to change the DLP parameters so as to avoid the use of these categories. —Carlos Email.gif 13:52, 12 May 2009 (UTC)
If you've noticed, I've been doing the required comparisions and fixes to that (not so) small fraction of pages needing fixing. In the course of doing this, I have developed the feeling that it would be best if somehow the actual sortkey that is created by NameSorter (and StripAccents) were substituted literally into the pages. It would make finding and fixing subsequent errors a lot easier, don't you think? -- Chucktalk Giffen 22:10, 20 May 2009 (UTC)
Well yes, it can be done for the new composer and user pages, if we alter the templates New editor and New composer to do so, but I fail to see how to apply what you suggest in the categories that receive {CompCatTxt}. —Carlos Email.gif 01:53, 21 May 2009 (UTC)
Oh, I've just seen that your attempt at using subst:NameSorter didn't succeed; so bad! —Carlos Email.gif 03:20, 21 May 2009 (UTC)


Is Template:LastNameFirst still in use? While moving Josquin from D in a hand-alphabetized list at Ave maris stella I noticed TextAutoList puts him under P. Richard Mix (talk) 04:31, 22 May 2018 (UTC)

Hi Richard. LastNameFirst is used a lot, because several other templates depend on it: [1]. I've added Josquin as an exception, as has been done with La Rue. TextAutoList should put him under D now. Is that what you want, or did I get it wrong? —Carlos (talk) 20:13, 26 May 2018 (UTC)
Under J, as per DEFAULTSORT:Josquin Des Prez (I'm a little puzzled by the upper case D, but no great matter). Is it really easier to add all exceptions than to have templates check for DEFAULTSORT? Richard Mix (talk) 05:27, 27 May 2018 (UTC)
Oh, I see... will make the correction. DEFAULTSORT only works with categories; templates can't access its value, unfortunately. But the exceptions aren't many. —Carlos (talk) 03:15, 28 May 2018 (UTC)