Susanne un jour (Orlando di Lasso)
- Editor: Andreas Stenberg (submitted 2021-05-29). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 122 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: A semi-diplomatic edition from "Tiers Livre des Chansons ...", 1566
- (Posted 2019-07-16) CPDL #54801:
- Editor: Pothárn Imre (submitted 2019-07-16). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 94 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from La Fleur des chansons d'Orlande de Lassus, Antwerp, 1592. Original note values. Updated version of Edition #1998.
- Editor: Allen Garvin (submitted 2018-12-03). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 93 kB Copyright: CC BY NC
- Edition notes: Parts available at http://dfwviols.com/new/2018-12-03-01.
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2017-03-10). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 62 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Reformatting of #14919, with corrections. Modern French. Musica ficta are editorial.
- Editor: Christopher Shaw (submitted 2015-02-14). Score information: A4, 7 pages, 75 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score. Please click on the link for preview/playback/PDF download.
- Last revised: 2016-06-04.
- Editor: Gerd Eichler (submitted 2013-11-19). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 90 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: transcribed from Tierce livre des chansons a quatre cinq et six parties. Original note values and key signature. Musica ficta clearly marked.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2007-09-10). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 45 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
- Editor: Sabine Cassola (submitted 2004-10-18). Score information: A4, 7 pages, 240 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Diminution added by G. Bassano.
First published: 1560 in Tiers livre des chansons a 4-6 parties, no. 22
2nd published: 1567 in Quatorsièsme livre de chansons (Le Roy & Ballard), Edition 2, no. 14
Manuscript c.1569 in Cancionero de Medinaceli, no. 169
3rd published: 1570 in Mellange d'Orlande de Lassus, no. 52
4th published: 1574 in La fleur des chansons des deux plus excellens musiciens de nostre temps (Bavent), Livre 2, no. 10
5th published: 1576 in Le thresor de musique, Edition 1, no. 65
Manuscript 1580 in Dow Partbooks, no. 77
6th published: 1582 in Le thresor de musique, Edition 2, no. 72
7th published: 1584 in Pratum musicum (ed. Emanuel Adriaenssen) – arr. for two voices and lute, Edition 1, no. 28
8th published: 1588 in Musica Transalpina (ed. Nicholas Yonge) – in English translation, Edition 1, no. 19
9th published: 1592 in La fleur des chansons, no. 49
Description: Lassus's setting of a popular song telling the story of Susannah and the elders. The 2nd tenor part follows the tenor of Didier Lupi's setting of Guéroult's text. Lassus used his chanson as the model of a Mass, a Magnificat and a Nunc dimittis. Other parody masses based on this setting include those by Marco Antonio Ingegneri , Gierolamo Lambardi, Claudio Merulo and Giovanni Valentini.. He also published a different setting of a German translation of the text, Susannen fromm.
Differences between editions: The first edition of this chanson differs from the subsequent publications regarding musica ficta. (I checked 1566 (reprint of 1560), 1570, Les Meslanges d'Orlande de Lassus 1576 and La Fleur des chansons d'Orlande de Lassus 1592.
- Superius measure 36. The 1566 edition has a sharp sign before the B (means B natural). All subsequent editions have no sharp sign.
- Contratenor measure 13. The 1566 edition has F sharp and E flat, also in measures 26-27. (The Superius has E natural in both cases). Subsequent editions have F natural and E natural.
- Contratenor measure 32. The 1566 edition has F sharp. Subsequent editions have F natural.
A recording by Arianna Savall uses the 1566 edition (available on YouTube). Other recordings maintain only the F sharp in the Contratenor in measure 32, but drop the other accidentals peculiar to the 1566 edition.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Susanne un jour.