Shepherds, shake off your drowsy sleep (Simon Biazeck)
- (Posted 2016-09-18) CPDL #41162:
- Editor: Simon Biazeck (submitted 2016-09-18). Score information: A4, 11 pages, 235 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
First published: 2008
Original text and translations
1. Shepherds, shake off your drowsy sleep,
Rise and leave your silly sheep;
Angels from heav’n around loud singing,
Tidings of great joy are bringing.
Shepherds, the chorus come and swell!
Sing Noël, oh, sing Noël.
2. Hark, even now the bells ring round;
Listen to their merry sound;
Hark, how the birds, new songs are making,
As if winter’s chains were breaking.
3. See how the flowers all burst anew,
Thinking snow is summer dew;
See how the stars afresh are glowing,
All their brightest beams bestowing.
4. Cometh at length the age of peace,
Strife and sorrow now shall cease;
Prophets foretold the wondrous story
Of this Heaven-born Prince of Glory.
5. Shepherds, then up and quick away,
Seek the Babe ere break of day;
He is the hope of every nation,
All in Him shall find salvation.