Se tu m'ami, se sospiri (Alessandro Parisotti)
- (Posted 2017-10-26) CPDL #47018: (Sibelius 4)
- Editor: Brian Marble (submitted 2017-10-26). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 67 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: in Dm for alto. Write me for other keys/format.
- (Posted 2008-07-28) CPDL #17709:
- Contributor: David Newman (submitted 2008-07-28). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 201 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Lyrics in Italian and English - English translation by Dr. Theodore Baker. Edition in F Minor.
Description: This Baroque Italian aria is perhaps best known as it appears in Schirmer's Twenty-Four Italian Songs and Arias, most of which had appeared previously in the Anthology of Italian Song of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries. The pieces in that collection were sometimes set with less than historically accurate accompaniments. In this case, even the song is a modern fabrication, apparently written by Parisotti and passed off as a song by Pergolesi. Stravinsky gives it a pungent harmonization in the ballet Pulcinella.
- Parisotti's Anthology is available here
- Entry at "Art Song Central" for this song
- Entry at the "Lied and Art Song Texts Page"
- English translation at the "Lied and Art Song Texts Page"
- German translation at the "Lied and Art Song Texts Page"
- Portuguese translation at the "Lied and Art Song Texts Page"
- Spanish translation at the "Lied and Art Song Texts Page"
Original text and translations
Se tu m’ami, se sospiri
Sol per me, gentil pastor,
Ho dolor de’ tuoi martiri,
Ho diletto del tuo amor,
Ma se pensi che soletto
Io ti debba riamar,
Pastorello, sei soggetto
Facilmente a t’ingannar.
Bella rosa porporina
Oggi Silvia sceglierà,
Con la scusa della spina
Doman poi la sprezzerà.
Ma degli uomini il consiglio
Io per me non seguirò.
Non perché mi piace il giglio
Gli altri fiori sprezzerò.